For this edition of the World-Famous Coast Sonic Hi-Fives we've managed to pester EarthQuaker Devices head-honcho Jamie Stillman with our rather pointless series of Top 5 questions. Give it a read to get Jamie's take on strange office build-outs, shelved experiments and the best products to invest your money on at random truckstops.
Top five things about running your own company
- Believing I can do whatever I want with my time.
- Getting to travel.
- Making the pedals I wish existed.
- Working with my wife and employing our friends.
- Being able to hire people who have way more expertise at running a company of our size.
Top five things that tend to interfere with said company
- Not actually being able to do whatever I want with my time.
- Ridiculous problems I never knew could exist.
- My ability to procrastinate on everything.
- The amount of meetings it takes to know what’s going on in a company of our size.
Top five pedal names that didn’t make the cut
- Deal Roller
- Amp Hammer (1 and 2)
- Sonic Reducer
- Surprise Machine
- Arc Chute
Top five reasons people think you should send them free gear
- They are “artists”
- They are “up and coming artists”
- They can get us in front of “soooo many people”
- They’ll put our name on their shirts
- They can’t afford it
Top five experiments that didn’t see the light of day
- Envelope controlled delay
- Dirty envelope filter
- Arpeggio Delay
- A whole series of experiments based around a robot voice modulator
- Eno machine- 5 Dispatch Master in 1 box
Top five reasons to call in sick
- I’m laying out PCB’s and can’t be distracted
- I got something new that I need to “test out”
- I’d rather play music
- I’m travelling
- I’m actually sick
Top five things we don’t know about EQD
- I’m constantly working on building the best fuzz face.
- If you have seen a facebook post, we’ve probably had a meeting about it.
- I don’t have any formal training in electronics, I just go for it and hope for the best.
- We currently have a maze and a makeshift space station built in our warehouse.
- I’m not actually running the company, my wife Julie and a lot of our employees make all the important decisions.
Top five truck stop impulse purchases
- A whole gallery of velvet paintings
- Corn Cob pipe
- Child sized cowboy hat
- Gold aviators that slightly magnified
- Eagles greatest hits CD
Top five embarrassing riffs you can play
I’m not necessarily embarrassed by these, but, you know…
- “More than words” by Extreme
- Some 3rd eye blind song that I don’t know the name of
- “Black or White”- Michael Jackson
- “Party in the USA”- Miley Cyrus
- “Your smiling Face”- James Taylor (this song actually rips)
Top five drummers
Drums are my first (and probably favorite) instrument so, here’s 10 in no particular order:
- John Bonham
- Steve Shelley
- John Theodore
- Billy Cobham
- Brooks Headley
- Bill Bruford
- Todd Trainer
- Bill Ward
- Dale Crover
- Steven Drozd
Check out Jamie and the crew at Earthquaker Devices fine handiwork.