For the second installment of our new Hi-Fives feature we decide to pester Ryan Clarke, better know as Dr. Scientist.
Top five scariest things about running your own company
- Constant pressure of not having a safety net, it's all on you.
- Constant pressure of not having benefits or retirement plans or anything like that.
- Constant pressure of getting orders, keeping caught up with orders, and then being paid for them.
- Constant pressure of communication demands, customer service and support, never letting anybody down.
- Constant pressure of staying innovative and interesting and relevant amongst the increasing horde of talented builders.
Top five things about living in Canada
- Everywhere here is really diverse with people of many nationalities, to be Canadian is truly to be from everywhere in the world.
- We have the Trailer Park Boys.
- Same-sex couples can legally get married in every single city across Canada for many years.
- We have special herbal medicines that are basically decriminalized, man.
- More beautiful scenery than you can shake a cat at. (the cats are beautiful too)
Top five words only Canadians know
- There's no sofas or couches here.. we have chesterfields.
- It's not a beanie... it's a toque.
- We don't have soft drinks or sodas... we have pop.
- Fries + gravy + cheese? That's poutine and we invented it.
- Frig. It's the more polite version of fuck. (pardon me, sorry)
Top five pedals that should never have been made
- Well I won't name any names but old pedals with 2 prong AC power cords that can short to the chassis and kill somebody, it's poor form.
- Wah pedals
- Auto-wah pedals
- Manually swept midrange-focused filter pedals
- Wah-Wah pedals
Top five amplifiers
- Ones that sound good clean, preferably with lots of big speakers since that looks cool.
- My buddy Nick with Dunwich Amps makes extra cool amps.
- My buddy Alex with Science Amps also makes extra cool amps.
- Really low wattage tube amps that are super distorted.
- My main amp is a '76 Super Reverb, same age as me.
Top five songs you love but wouldn’t play when anyone is around
- 70s synth pop
- 80s synth pop
- 90s synth pop
- contemporary synth pop
- I've just always been embarrassed to like synth pop but I love the synths and the catchiness!
Top five websites to frequent
ilovefuzz.com, you're gonna have a blast.
youtube.com, I love watching Let's Plays of video games and crazy documentaries about Mars while I work.
twitch.tv, live video games, for people who don't have time to actually play video games.
instagram.com, the community of builders and buddies goofing off and having fun on IG is awesome.
- This seems like a tacky and tasteless shout-out to myself but it's really a shout-out to the best website builder around, my buddy Bryan Kulba: www.drscientist.ca (make sure you're on a pc or laptop or tablet, the phone version is different)
Top five Canadian bands
- The Birthday Massacre, cool synth rock
- Death From Above 1979, cool drum and bass rock'n'roll
- Ubiquitous Synergy Seeker, cool synth rock
- Rush, friggin invented synth rock
- My buddy Jake Ian, old school country
Top five potato chip flavors
- All burnt. You know how there's always a couple burnt chips in the bag.. imagine a bag full of them! (never had this but I think it would rule)
- Salt and Vinegar
- Chocolate Dipped (never had this but it sounds good to me)
- Cinnamon Sugar (never had this either.. I gotta get into making potato chips)
Top five things that confuse you
- What was the universe, or the space it would occupy, like before the big bang?
- Why is the universe expanding at an increasing rate and what is it expanding into?
- What is the actual state/condition of all the unaccounted for (dark) matter and energy from the universe?
- What happens when you die?
- Why did Adult Swim cancel Brak?
Shop Dr. Scientist