We recently added SubDecay to our offerings here at Coast Sonic so we thought it appropriate to annoy head honcho Brian Marshall with one of our Hi-Fives! Read on for Brian's take on things.
Top Five things about being your own boss
- Knowing way more about accounting than I ever wanted to.
- Tax forms or any other paperwork from the state.
- Working 70 hours a week when necessary. Yeah that's awesome.
- Robocallers - The phone would barely ring if it weren't for you guys. We love ya!
- Fixing unanticipated problems which I lovingly call 'forest fires'
Top Five worst jobs you’ve held
- Picking Raspberries during the summer when I was 12.
- Selling ties door to door. Quit after 1 day.
- Flipping burgers at Wendy's. Quit after 2 days.
- Roofing one summer working with my dad, who paid less than minimum wage and wouldn't let me quit. Nothing like spending 10 hours in 95 degree heat on a rooftop. Yeah, thanks Dad.
- Electrical sales. Somehow I lasted nearly ten before it made me want to set my self on fire.
Top Five all time favorite pedals
- DOD FX20B Phaser, because it was the first effect I ever owned.
- Maxon AD9 - Best analog delay ever.
- Roland Phase five - There's only one setting that sounds good, but it sounds really good.
- EHX Big Muff Pi - For a while I kept my gear at my old band's practice space. At home I had a minimal setup of guitar > BMP > Fender combo.
- Boss DM2
I guess I like delay and phaser pedals.
Top Five musical guilty pleasures
- Duran Duran
- Lady Gaga
- Bon Jovi
- Michael Jackson
Hold on to the fee eee eeeling
FYI, I don't feel guilty about any of those... Well Maybe Bon Jovi. Oh wait that's not guilt, that's shame.
Top Five reasons to take a sick day
- Doctor Who on Netflix
- Sleep in and pretend I work musician hours.
- Mow the lawn because it rained all weekend here in Oregon.
- Ummm, What's a sick day?
- Because someone decided it's jam band bootleg day at the shop.
Top Five unreleased experiments
- FMbot - (a.k.a the money pit) FM synthesis fuzz crazy thing. It's 99% complete, but the only way to smooth out the problems is starting over with a new DSP platform. Hmmm maybe time for kickstarter? No. Seriously. NO!
- Time Distortion Sequencer- An under sampled echo effect. It was fun, if not particularly useful. Malekko came out with the lo-fi Ekko, which was kind of similar, but way better, so we swept it under the rug like a carcinogenic pesticide in the 70s.
- Bionic Soul - 3 channel overdrive with saveable presets. It felt like jack of all trades, but master of none.
- 20+ versions of the Octasynth before we simplified it enough that normal people would actually have the patience for it. One had twelve knobs, five toggle switches and too many settings where it just wouldn't do anything. I'm sure that would impress someone trying it at their local guitar shop.
- Dual Flanger with Dual LFOs. A noisy pedal with more knobs than actual sounds.